Summer means two things in the Lieb house peaches and ice cream. And the combination of the two equals the ultimate summer treat, peach ice cream.
Joe and I received an ice cream maker as a wedding gift from Joe’s parents along with his mother’s ice cream recipe. It’s more of a custard recipe but you can adapt it to make almost any flavor of ice cream. I’ve made plain vanilla, chocolate chip, cherry vanilla and many more.
Here is my favorite peach ice cream recipe… I hope you enjoy.
Peach Ice Cream
- 1 Quart Whole Milk
- 1 Quart Half & Half
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1/2 Pint Whipping Cream
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 3-4 Peaches
- Combine milk and half & half in a double broiler and scald
- Beat together eggs, sugar, and flour.
- Add a bit of the milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk mixture
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Pour into a large bowl, cover with wax paper and cool.
- When ready to freeze add the whipping cream and vanilla to the mixture
- Pour into your ice cream maker and follow the ice cream maker’s directions. So far you’re just making vanilla ice cream, the peaches come soon.
- While your ice cream is churning fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the peaches making sure they are completely covered in water and blanch them for 40 seconds. Using a slotted spoon remove the peaches and immediately place them in an ice bath and let them cool for about 1 minute. Remove from water, pat dry and remove the skin from the peaches.
- Cut peaches into small bite size pieces.
- When the ice cream maker is nearing the end of churning (it will sound like it’s struggling to churn) add the peaches and let churn for a few minutes.
- Remove ice cream from maker and eat immediately or store in an air tight container and place in freezer to harden.
I prefer chunks of peaches in my ice cream which is why I add them at the end, if I were to add them at the beginning the ice cream would be more peach flavored with no noticeable chunks.