A few years ago I posted a super easy Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin “Muffin” recipe using a cake mix. Let’s be honest, they are really pumpkin cupcakes NOT muffins, the word muffin makes it sound healthier but it still full of sugar.
Since going paleo/real food we have had trouble find breakfast options, especially since Joe doesn’t eat eggs. So I attempted to make REAL pumpkin muffins and these are paleo friendly too!
These muffins use almond flour instead of wheat flour. The key to making any baked goods with almond flour is to use blanched almond flour NOT almond meal/flour. Blanched almond flour comes from peeled almonds and is a much finer consistency. If you use almond meal/flour your baked goods will most likely turn out greasy and have a thicker texture. They won’t be bad but they won’t be awesome either.
- 1 1/2 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 3/4 Cup Pureed Pumpkin
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Tbs Almond Butter
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (optional)
- Preheat oven the 375 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) together in a bowl until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Grease muffin pan or use paper/silicone liners.
- Fill each muffin tin about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes
My boys loved these muffins, especially the chocolate part! You could easily omit the chocolate chips and add nuts if you prefer.