Joe loves a good cheese steak but I’ve never actually tried to make one. The other day while we were out to lunch and Joe was eating a Chicken Cheese Steak he suggested that we might be able to make chicken cheese steaks in the slow cooker. I accepted his challenge and set out to create an easy recipe.
I used on-the-bone chicken thighs but you could probably use any cut of chicken. I liked the darker meat because it holds in the moisture a little better than white meat but I might try boneless chicken breasts next time.
Joe approved of my slow cooker recipe and so did the boys! I served sweet potato fries with our cheese steaks, not a very healthy meal but a delicious one!
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Steak Recipe
- 1-2 lbs of Chicken
- 1/4 cup Worcerstershire sauce
- 1/8 cup White Wine
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1-2 Bell Peppers (Red, Yellow or Green)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Hoagie Roll
- Sliced Cheese like Provolone or Cheddar
- Put Chicken, Worcerstershire Sauce, Wine, Onion, Peppers, Salt and Pepper in Slow Cooker.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours
- Remove Chicken, Peppers and Onions with Slotted Spoon
- Shred Chicken and mix with onions and peppers
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Place Chicken mixture in a pan or on a griddle set to Medium/High Heat
- Top Chicken mixture with cheese slices
- While cheese is melting toast hoagie rolls in the oven for a few minutes.
- Assemble sandwich