Jude likes books a lot but he really LOVES pop-up/interactive books like HOW DO YOU FEED A HUNGRY GIANT by Caitlin Freedman and illustrated by Shaw Nielson. This is a fun book about a little boy named Oscar that befriends a hungry giant.
The story is about a little boy helping to feed a lonely, hungry giant he finds sitting in his backyard. Oscar has a big heart and so does his mother…and at no point are they scared by the giant’s size. I used this story and Oscar’s instinct to help to talk to my kids about the opportunities they have in their day to help those around them. I also talked to them about thinking a little bigger…yes, you can help the boy in your class pour his milk AND you can help a boy you have never met by donating a can of food. If you are lucky enough to have what you need then you have a responsibility to help those that don’t.
– Author Caitlin Freedman
Pizza-Size Chocolate Chip Cookie
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 14-inch pizza pan with vegetable oil and set it aside.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
3. In another mixing bowl, beat the butter, both sugars, and vanilla together until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, beating until well blended.
5. Stir in the chocolate and peanut butter chips.
6. Spread the dough in the prepared pizza pan, pulling it
and folding over the edges to make a rim.
7. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Let the cookie cool slightly and then cut it into wedges to serve.
I received the feature product, the opinions expressed in this post are my own and not influenced by the company.