From day 1 of potty training Noah has done exceptionally well… with going pee in the potty. He occasionally has an accident but most days he remains dry all day. You may remember what initially prompted our potty training venture, the poop diapers. Almost every day at nap time Noah would remove his poopy diaper and mess with it. We took that as a sign that he didn’t like being dirty and was ready to be potty trained. Well several months later and he’s refusing to poop in the potty and still taking off his poop pull-up after nap time.
Here’s the situation:
- He wears underwear during the day and a pull-up at nap time and night time.
- He goes potty before nap time and bedtime where we’ve encouraged him to poop but it never happens.
- Right before nap and bed he drinks milk (I’m thinking of cutting this out).
- Sometimes he poops in the diaper and sometimes he doesn’t.
- If he poops in his diaper he will pretty much change himself (wipes, new pull-up, etc).
I tried putting a little potty in his room to encourage him to use that instead of the floor, didn’t work.
We removed all diapers, pull-ups and wipes from his bedroom and placed them in the bathroom so he associates poop with the bathroom.
Next we are going to start showing him each BM and us dumping it in the potty so he has a visual of where the poop goes. Otherwise we are pretty much out of ideas of ways to help him stop pooping everywhere.
Honestly, I would rather just change a normal poop diaper than poop from the walls, carpet, bed, furniture, his body, etc…
Do you have any advice for how we can get Noah to poop in the potty?