Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies – Paleo Friendly

by jessicalieb on August 26, 2013 · 21 comments

breakfast cookie paleo

Another great option for a paleo-friendly breakfast that isn’t just eggs (other than my delicious chocolate chip pumpkin muffins) are pumpkin breakfast cookies.

These are super simple and easy to change up just by simply using different “fillings” (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc.) I used the rest of the canned pumpkin puree that was leftover from the muffins to make these. No waste!

The boys loved these as well and thought they were having a special treat since they were eating “cookies for breakfast.

• 1/2 Cup MaraNatha, No Stir Almond Butter, Creamy
  • 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
  • 1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 Cup of your choice dried fruits, nuts, seeds, coconut, etc.*

(*I used pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried currants and a few dark chocolate chips as my filling.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix together all ingredients except “fillings”
  3. Fold in fillings
  4. Place 1 Tablespoon size  scoops on a cookie sheet (I use a silpat non-stick baking mat)
  5. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown.

I had to keep them in the oven a little longer than I anticipated until they were done to my liking so you may want to watch them near the end so they don’t burn. I really like that these cookies don’t contain any flour but are still very fluffy.

Jessica is a family lifestyle blogger living in Raleigh, NC with her husband, three sons (6, 3 and 1) and a new baby on the way (due January 2015). Jessica started thebkeepsushonest.com in November of 2009, but has been blogging since 2003. Jessica writes about family life, recipes, travel and products for families. She is also a Work-from-home-mom who manages marketing and social media for a local accounting company.

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Jessica August 26, 2013 at 9:22 am

Great recipe! I just pinned it to my clean eating board. http://pinterest.com/jshallow01/clean-eating-recipes/

jessicalieb August 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thanks so much Jessica, I’m going to follow your pinterest board now!

Vinma August 26, 2013 at 9:41 am

This sound so yumm!!! Perfect for breakfast.. Thanks for the recipe:)

Keely Hostetter August 26, 2013 at 9:53 am

They sound really good. We love pumpkin. Never used maple syrup with pumpkin before, I will have to try it.

jessicalieb August 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Keely you can use honey if you don’t have maple syrup but I think the syrup gives it a little more of a fall flavor.

Rena (An Ordinary Housewife) August 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

I bet these would be good with cream cheese frosting. I did a gluten-free sugar free pumpkin cake with sugar free cream cheese frosting. It was pretty good! http://anordinaryhousewife.com/tasty-tuesday-…e-pumpkin-cake/

jessicalieb August 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Rena, that sounds like a great idea! I never thought about frosting them, that would be a nice treat.

Alix August 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yum! I love baking with pumpkin!!

Barbara Boser August 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm

These look yummy!

Jenna @ www.Sensationallyseasonal.com August 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

These look really yummy! I am so ready for the season of pumpkin everything and always on the lookout for good gluten free recipes. Will have to try this.

Bohemian Babushka (@BBabushka) August 31, 2013 at 12:53 am

Pinned to my “breakfast” board, though I’m thinking it’ll probably do well in desserts too. ; ) Gracias for the Pin It Forward hop; BB2U.

Kat September 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Do you have any recommendations to replace the Almond Butter? My oldest son is allergic. Otherwise I really can’t wait to make these. :)

Jessica @Bkeepsushonest September 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

You could try Sunbutter. We use sunbutter a lot and love it, I haven’t tried it in this recipe though.

Andrea (Lil-Kid-Things) September 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Oh these look tasty!

Stacey October 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

You say these are egg free and then list an egg in the recipe. We have severe egg allergies and I was excited to find a recipe that didn’t require me to figure out sub amounts. Is this egg free?

jessicalieb October 6, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Sorry for the confusion. There are definitely eggs in the recipe. I meant that most paleo breakfast options are just “eat eggs” and this recipes isn’t just “eat eggs”. I reworded it to make it clearer.

CZ October 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Made these last night for dessert and my bf and I loved them! Probably ate more than we should have but they were too yummy. I made them with sunflower seed butter. Thanks for this simple, yet delish recipe!

jackie December 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I tried making these but my “dough” was extremely runny, like cake batter rather than a cookie batter. Did anyone else have this issue? How do you keep it from running all over a baking sheet? And how many cookies does this recipe make?

Perky November 12, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I had the same problem, like cake batter. Am in the midst of making and have added more add-ins but still super runny. No way these will make a cookie, may try the muffin cup idea