Joe loves Cuban food so we’ve collected a huge assortment of Cuban recipes most of which we regularly include in our meal plans but somehow this recipe slipped through the cracks. I think because it contains mango and I really don’t have much experience with mango.
So we took to the internet to educate ourselves on how to select and prepare a mango. (If you don’t know how to do something there is always Google.)
Joe is actually a really good cook and when he is passionate about a recipe he immerses himself if it… sometimes quite literally. (He’s a pretty messy cook.) I have to say he did really nailed this recipe.
Cuban Chicken with Mango
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 Cups chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed with 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken cut into bite size pieces (dark meat works best but white meat will work too)
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup ripe mango chunks
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and butter over medium high heat in a large pan.
- Saute onion until soft.
- Add garlic and chicken and cook until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add brown sugar, mango, ginger, and cumin.
- Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add in cilantro for the last 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice.