We eat some form of Mexican food at least once a week. My boys love tacos, burritos and guacamole. So to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year I knew we need to do something a little special so I did some research on beef carnitas and decided to put my slow cooker to work.
Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas
- 2 lb flank steak
- 1 sliced Yellow Onion
- 1 sliced Bell Pepper (I used a Yellow Pepper)
- 1 finely diced Jalapeno (seeds removed)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
For the tacos
- corn or flour tortillas
- grated cheese
- guacamole (see recipe below)
- Mix together spice rub and apply generously to the flank steak.
- Place steak in slow co0ker
- Top steak with onion, peppers and jalapeno
- Pour orange juice around the steak
- Cook for 8 hours on low
- Shred beef and mix in peppers and onions
- Assemble tacos and enjoy
We could probably eat guacamole everyday, I know the boys would if we let them. Avocados are good for you even though they are full of fat it’s a healthy fat and fat doesn’t actually make you fat. Some people, like my father-in-law, are afraid of guacamole because they think avocados are spicy, but we make a light and tangy guacamole as opposed to a spicy gauc.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit and then remove flesh into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, mash avocado and mix in the juice and spices.
Cinco de Mayo is only a few days away so start planning now.
Here are a few more great Cinco de Mayo recipes and party ideas you might want to try:
This Margarita recipe from Fashionably Organized
An entire Cinco de Mayo menu from Party Blueprints Blog
Avocado Watermelon Skewers from My Scraps
Chipotle Chocolate Chips Cookies from Super Exhausted
and Southwestern Lasagna from Rajean Blomquist