Once I told Joe that he could eat chicken wings while on our Whole30 Challenge he set off to make the best oven baked paleo chicken wings. And I think he did it. These wings are crispy like fried wings but made in the oven.
Crispy Oven Chicken Wings Technique
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Dry chicken wings with paper towel
- Toss wings in mixture of equal parts salt and baking powder (1 tsp each is a good place to start) UPDATE: I now use 1 tsp salt : 2 tsp baking powder, and toss wings using a gallon-sized ziplock bag.
- Place wings on baking sheet so that they are not touching each other.
- Let sit uncovered in refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn wings, and bake for 15-25 minutes longer, checking frequently. UPDATE: I’ve had best results with: bake for 20 minutes, turn wings, bake for 10 minutes, turn wings again, bake for 5 minutes.
- Dry excess grease from wings with paper towels and toss in prepared wing sauce.
Read more on the experiments leading up to this technique.
Classic Wing Sauce
- 1/4 cup (mild) to 1/2 cup (medium) of Frank’s Original Red Hot
- 1/4 cup of Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp of lime juice
- Melt the butter over medium heat
- Once butter is melted, mix in all other ingredients
- Simmer over low heat, stirring often, until the wings are ready
Honey Garlic Ginger Soy Wing Sauce
- 1/2 cup Kikkoman Ponzu citrus seasoned soy sauce – Note: Soy sauce usually contains wheat, so this one isn’t strictly paleo.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Blend all ingredients in blender.
- Allow to come to room temperature prior to use.
Jalapeno Lime Wing Sauce
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 2-3 jalapenos
- 2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 4 small tomatoes*
- 1/4 cup tomato juice*
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- *Note: 2 cups strained tomatoes can be used in place of these ingredients.
- Wash all vegetables, peel onion
- Remove seeds from jalapenos, unless you want all the heat
- Finely chop onion, celery, jalapenos in food processor
- Transfer to blender
- Add remaining ingredients and blend
- Heat over low heat or allow to come to room temperature prior to use.
- UPDATE: I’ve had best results with this recipe when I cut 1/2 cup of this sauce with 1/4 cup of Kerrygold unsalted grass-fed butter using the same technique as the Classic Wing Sauce recipe.