I’ve been to a few blog conferences and I’ve taken my family with me every time. There are benefits and disadvantages for bringing your family. Let’s discuss.
- You don’t miss them as much
- If you have small children you are available if they need you
- Your spouse and kids get to experience new things while you’re at the conference
- You feel torn between spending time with your family and attending conference events.
- Your family may need you during an important part of the conference
- Sometimes it’s nice to have a little time away from the family to recharge
The first time I brought along my family to a conferecne I felt really torn and sort of stressed to have them there. But it was also my first time attending a conference and I didn’t really know a lot of people so having my family near to hang out with was nice. I’m a pretty shy person especially in large groups so I sort of retreated to be with my family when I goy uncomfortable. This was both a good and bad thing. Good because I had a comfort zone available but bad because I didn’t really challenge myself to step outside of my comfort zone. This time I’m going to be more prepared.
The key to bringing your family to a blog conference is PLANNING!
This week is Type-A Parent Conference and again I will be bringing my family but don’t feel as stressed already because I HAVE A PLAN. I’ve been very diligent with making plans for the boys when I’m in my meetings. Jude will be attending KidCon one day and the next they will be checking out Discovery Place in Charlotte. This way everyone will be busy and having a good time, including mom! But I’m glad they will be with me because I miss my guys when they aren’t around, so now I will be able to attend the conference AND get in my daily snuggles.
Have you taken your family to a Blog Conference with you? Did you like having them there or would you rather go alone?